Etf o gestori attivi: la scommessa di Warren Buffet

dalla sua lettera agli azionisti bilancio 2016:

Subsequently, I publicly offered to wager $500,000 that no investment pro could select a set of at least five hedge funds – wildly-popular and high-fee investing vehicles – that would over an extended period match the performance of an unmanaged S&P-500 index fund charging only token fees. I suggested a ten-year bet and named a low-cost Vanguard S&P fund as my contender. I then sat back and waited expectantly for a parade of fund managers – who could include their own fund as one of the five – to come forth and defend their occupation. After all, these managers urged others to bet billions on their abilities. Why should they fear putting a little of their own money on the line?
What followed was the sound of silence. Though there are thousands of professional investment managers who have amassed staggering fortunes by touting their stock-selecting prowess, only one man – Ted Seides – stepped up to my challenge. Ted was a co-manager of Protégé Partners, an asset manager that had raised money from limited partners to form a fund-of-funds – in other words, a fund that invests in multiple hedge funds.
I hadn’t known Ted before our wager, but I like him and admire his willingness to put his money where his mouth was. He has been both straight-forward with me and meticulous in supplying all the data that both he and I have needed to monitor the bet.
For Protégé Partners’ side of our ten-year bet, Ted picked five funds-of-funds whose results were to be averaged and compared against my Vanguard S&P index fund. The five he selected had invested their money in more than 100 hedge funds, which meant that the overall performance of the funds-of-funds would not be distorted by the good or poor results of a single manager.
Each fund-of-funds, of course, operated with a layer of fees that sat above the fees charged by the hedge funds in which it had invested. In this doubling-up arrangement, the larger fees were levied by the underlying hedge funds; each of the fund-of-funds imposed an additional fee for its presumed skills in selecting hedge-fund managers.
Here are the results for the first nine years of the bet – figures leaving no doubt that Girls Inc. of Omaha, the charitable beneficiary I designated to get any bet winnings I earned, will be the organization eagerly opening the mail next January.
Year
2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Gain Date
S&P
Index Fund
-37.0% 26.6% 15.1%
2.1% 16.0% 32.3% 13.6%
1.4% 11.9%
Fund of Funds A
-16.5% 11.3% 5.9% -6.3% 3.4% 10.5% 4.7% 1.6% -2.9%
8.7%
Fund of Funds B
-22.3% 14.5% 6.8% -1.3% 9.6% 15.2% 4.0% 2.5% 1.7%
28.3%
Fund of Funds C
-21.3% 21.4% 13.3%
5.9% 5.7% 8.8%
18.9% 5.4% -1.4%
62.8%
Fund of Funds D
-29.3% 16.5% 4.9% -6.3% 6.2% 14.2% 0.7% 1.4% 2.5%
Fund of Funds E
-30.1% 16.8% 11.9% -2.8%
9.1% 14.4% -2.1% -5.0% 4.4%
2.9%
the names of these funds-of-funds have never
to
Footnote: Under my agreement with Protégé Partners, been publicly disclosed. I, however, see their annual audits.
The compounded annual increase to date for the index fund is 7.1%, which is a return that could easily prove typical for the stock market over time. That’s an important fact: A particularly weak nine years for the market over the lifetime of this bet would have probably helped the relative performance of the hedge funds, because many hold large “short” positions. Conversely, nine years of exceptionally high returns from stocks would have provided a tailwind for index funds.
Instead we operated in what I would call a “neutral” environment. In it, the five funds-of-funds delivered, through 2016, an average of only 2.2%, compounded annually. That means $1 million invested in those funds would have gained $220,000. The index fund would meanwhile have gained $854,000.
7.5%
85.4%
Bear in mind that every one of the 100-plus managers of the underlying hedge funds had a huge financial incentive to do his or her best. Moreover, the five funds-of-funds managers that Ted selected were similarly incentivized to select the best hedge-fund managers possible because the five were entitled to performance fees based on the results of the underlying funds.
I’m certain that in almost all cases the managers at both levels were honest and intelligent people. But the results for their investors were dismal – really dismal. And, alas, the huge fixed fees charged by all of the funds and funds-of-funds involved – fees that were totally unwarranted by performance – were such that their managers were showered with compensation over the nine years that have passed. As Gordon Gekko might have put it: “Fees never sleep.”
The underlying hedge-fund managers in our bet received payments from their limited partners that likely averaged a bit under the prevailing hedge-fund standard of “2 and 20,” meaning a 2% annual fixed fee, payable even when losses are huge, and 20% of profits with no clawback (if good years were followed by bad ones). Under this lopsided arrangement, a hedge fund operator’s ability to simply pile up assets under management has made many of these managers extraordinarily rich, even as their investments have performed poorly.
Still, we’re not through with fees. Remember, there were the fund-of-funds managers to be fed as well. These managers received an additional fixed amount that was usually set at 1% of assets. Then, despite the terrible overall record of the five funds-of-funds, some experienced a few good years and collected “performance” fees. Consequently, I estimate that over the nine-year period roughly 60% – gulp! – of all gains achieved by the five funds-of-funds were diverted to the two levels of managers. That was their misbegotten reward for accomplishing something far short of what their many hundreds of limited partners could have effortlessly – and with virtually no cost – achieved on their own.
In my opinion, the disappointing results for hedge-fund investors that this bet exposed are almost certain to recur in the future. I laid out my reasons for that belief in a statement that was posted on the Long Bets website when the bet commenced (and that is still posted there). Here is what I asserted:
Over a ten-year period commencing on January 1, 2008, and ending on December 31, 2017, the S&P 500 will outperform a portfolio of funds of hedge funds, when performance is measured on a basis net of fees, costs and expenses.
A lot of very smart people set out to do better than average in securities markets. Call them active investors.
Their opposites, passive investors, will by definition do about average. In aggregate their positions will more or less approximate those of an index fund. Therefore, the balance of the universe—the active investors—must do about average as well. However, these investors will incur far greater costs. So, on balance, their aggregate results after these costs will be worse than those of the passive investors.
Costs skyrocket when large annual fees, large performance fees, and active trading costs are all added to the active investor’s equation. Funds of hedge funds accentuate this cost problem because their fees are superimposed on the large fees charged by the hedge funds in which the funds of funds are invested.
A number of smart people are involved in running hedge funds. But to a great extent their efforts are self-neutralizing, and their IQ will not overcome the costs they impose on investors. Investors, on average and over time, will do better with a low-cost index fund than with a group of funds of funds.
So that was my argument – and now let me put it into a simple equation. If Group A (active investors) and Group B (do-nothing investors) comprise the total investing universe, and B is destined to achieve average results before costs, so, too, must A. Whichever group has the lower costs will win. (The academic in me requires me to mention that there is a very minor point – not worth detailing – that slightly modifies this formulation.) And if Group A has exorbitant costs, its shortfall will be substantial.
There are, of course, some skilled individuals who are highly likely to out-perform the S&P over long stretches. In my lifetime, though, I’ve identified – early on – only ten or so professionals that I expected would accomplish this feat.
There are no doubt many hundreds of people – perhaps thousands – whom I have never met and whose abilities would equal those of the people I’ve identified. The job, after all, is not impossible. The problem simply is that the great majority of managers who attempt to over-perform will fail. The probability is also very high that the person soliciting your funds will not be the exception who does well. Bill Ruane – a truly wonderful human being and a man whom I identified 60 years ago as almost certain to deliver superior investment returns over the long haul – said it well: “In investment management, the progression is from the innovators to the imitators to the swarming incompetents.”
Further complicating the search for the rare high-fee manager who is worth his or her pay is the fact that some investment professionals, just as some amateurs, will be lucky over short periods. If 1,000 managers make a market prediction at the beginning of a year, it’s very likely that the calls of at least one will be correct for nine consecutive years. Of course, 1,000 monkeys would be just as likely to produce a seemingly all-wise prophet. But there would remain a difference: The lucky monkey would not find people standing in line to invest with him.
Finally, there are three connected realities that cause investing success to breed failure. First, a good record quickly attracts a torrent of money. Second, huge sums invariably act as an anchor on investment performance: What is easy with millions, struggles with billions (sob!). Third, most managers will nevertheless seek new money because of their personal equation – namely, the more funds they have under management, the more their fees.
These three points are hardly new ground for me: In January 1966, when I was managing $44 million, I wrote my limited partners: “I feel substantially greater size is more likely to harm future results than to help them. This might not be true for my own personal results, but it is likely to be true for your results. Therefore, . . . I intend to admit no additional partners to BPL. I have notified Susie that if we have any more children, it is up to her to find some other partnership for them.”
The bottom line: When trillions of dollars are managed by Wall Streeters charging high fees, it will usually be the managers who reap outsized profits, not the clients. Both large and small investors should stick with low-cost index funds.

grazie per aver aperto il 3d...
9 anni fa, ero stato io il primo in questo forum a darne notizia, e francamente non avevo quasi dubbi che il vincitore sarebbe stato Buffett, cioè ero piuttosto sicuro che il fondo indice da lui scelto avrebbe battuto gli hedge scelti dal suo avversario nella scommessa...
francamente, la performance degli hedge è imbarazzante...

morale: "As Gordon Gekko might have put it: “Fees never sleep" :yes:

grazie per aver aperto il 3d...
9 anni fa, ero stato io il primo in questo forum a darne notizia, e francamente non avevo quasi dubbi che il vincitore sarebbe stato Buffett, cioè ero piuttosto sicuro che il fondo indice da lui scelto avrebbe battuto gli hedge scelti dal suo avversario nella scommessa...
francamente, la performance degli hedge è imbarazzante...

morale: "As Gordon Gekko might have put it: “Fees never sleep" :yes:

;)

Posso mettere il link alla discussione oramai, purtroppo, archiviata? :D

End of story.

Well done, Wally. OK!

Negli ultimi 9 anni a partire da gennaio 2008 sembra che Berkshire abbia fatto peggio dell'indice Sp500

Ma dove? Ma quando?
Guarda bene.Dal 2008 a dicembre 2016 Berkshire ha fatto leggermente peggio del Sp500 mentre negli ultimi 8 anni dal 2009
a dicembre 2016 ha fatto abbastanza peggio.Berkshire aveva fatto molto meglio del Sp500 nei dieci anni precedenti dal 1998 al 2007 .

Negli ultimi 9 anni a partire da gennaio 2008 sembra che Berkshire abbia fatto peggio dell'indice Sp500

Guardando il grafico dal 2008 si vede che l'ultima volta che BRK (in verde) ha fatto significativamente meglio di SPY (in blu) è stato nell'estate del 2008. Quella in rosso è la performance relativa.

brk.jpg

Dal 2008 a dicembre 2016 Berkshire ha fatto leggermente peggio del Sp500 mentre negli ultimi 8 anni dal 2009 a dicembre 2016 ha fatto abbastanza peggio. Berkshire aveva fatto molto meglio del Sp500 nei dieci anni precedenti dal 1998 al 2007.

Guardando il grafico storico dal 1998 si vede che fino al 2000 BRK è andata peggio, dal 2000 al 2002 è andata meglio, dal 2002 al 2007 è andata peggio, fra il 2007 e il 2008 è andata meglio e poi sempre a scendere, con l'eccezione dei primi mesi del 2010.

brk1.jpg

ma ci siete o ci fate?

la scommessa non verteva sulla performance relativa di Berkshire, ma tra un fondo indice sullo S&P500 e 5 fondi di fondi hedge, scelti dall'altro scommettitore...
Buffett ha sempre, SEMPRE, consigliato fondi indice/etf, apparentemente un controsenso per il campione assoluto della gestione attiva su base fondamentale, ma i motivi li ha sempre spiegati Buffett stesso, con il consueto elegante humour ( anche se va detto che NON è Buffett che scrive materialmente la lettera annuale agli azionisti Berkshire, ma un suo ghostwriter)

la scommessa non verteva sulla performance relativa di Berkshire [...] apparentemente un controsenso per il campione assoluto della gestione attiva su base fondamentale

Tu dici? Si potrebbe benissimo pensare che visto che si è accorto di non riuscire più a battere l'indice nemmeno lui, per continuare ad apparire lo stesso "er mejo gatto der Colosseo" ha lanciato il guanto di sfida.

Guardando il grafico dal 2008 si vede che l'ultima volta che BRK (in verde) ha fatto significativamente meglio di SPY (in blu) è stato nell'estate del 2008. Quella in rosso è la performance relativa.

Vedi l'allegato 2371203

Guardando il grafico storico dal 1998 si vede che fino al 2000 BRK è andata peggio, dal 2000 al 2002 è andata meglio, dal 2002 al 2007 è andata peggio, fra il 2007 e il 2008 è andata meglio e poi sempre a scendere, con l'eccezione dei primi mesi del 2010.

Vedi l'allegato 2371204
Come mai secondo te Berkshire negli ultimi anni diciamo 8-9 ha fatto peggio di Sp500?Mancanza di ispirazione di Buffett data ormai l'elevata età o qualche altro motivo?Berkshire va mediamente molto meglio del Sp500 negli anni negativi del Sp500

(Reuters)

Warren Buffett, uno dei più grande investitori della storia (nonché secondo uomo più ricco del mondo), lanciò il guanto di sfida agli hedge funds poco meno di dieci anni fa. Scommettiamo, disse l’oracolo di Omaha, che nel prossimo decennio l’indice Standard and Poor’s batterà il fondo di fondi hedge Protégé Partners, tenendo conto di tutti i costi e le spese di quest’ultimo? La sfida è iniziata il 1° gennaio 2008, chi perde pagherà un milione di dollari in beneficienza all’istituzione scelta dal vincitore.

la lettera agli azionisti 28 febbraio 2017

Il verbo di Buffett agli azionisti: non c’è una bolla in Borsa

Manca ancora qualche mese alla fine della competizione, ma qualcuno ha già la vittoria in tasca. E' il fondo di fondi hedge, summa delle più brillanti menti finanziarie mondiali? Macché: nei primi otto anni della sfida a mettere a segno la miglior performance è stato il passivo e “stupido” indice S&P, che ha guadagnato più del triplo rispetto al fondo Protégé Partners (il 65,7% cumulato contro il 21,9%). Questo, ovviamente, al netto dei costi del fondo di fondi hedge.

E' la più grande lezione d’investimento del mondo, spiega Buffett, sicuro di poter vincere la scommessa. «Perdere con 40 punti percentuali di scarto suona come una sconfitta terribile per l’hedge fund, ma non per i suoi gestori. Che magari hanno portato a casa un paio di punti percentuali di fee l’anno, ovvero un sacco di soldi».

la provocazione dell’oracolo di omaha 9 agosto 2016

Buffett: «In Borsa una scimmia è meglio di Trump». Ha ragione?

E' proprio l’incredibile sistema dei compensi degli hedge che ha spinto Buffett a giocarsi un milione di dollari sicuro della vittoria. «Non esiste consulente al mondo che ti dirà mai di acquistare l’indice S&P senza fare più nulla per goderne i frutti nei prossimi cinquant’anni - ha ironizzato Buffett -non sono cose che fanno guadagnare fee annuali». E nella sua ultima lettera agli azionisti di Berkshire Hathaway, il mago della finanza ha rincarato la dose: gli investitori nell’ultimo decennio hanno bruciato oltre cento miliardi di dollari in commissioni di gestione.

Buffett insomma attacca a testa bassa su una vecchia questione: la gestione passiva non solo costa molto meno di quella attiva, ma spesso porta pure risultati migliori. In particolare negli Stati Uniti a essere sotto accusa è il famigerato “modello 2-e-20”, con gli hedge che caricano il 2% di commissioni fisse sulle masse gestite assicurandosi in più il 20% dei profitti al di sopra di una certa soglia (di solito l’8%). Un po’ troppo, hanno probabilmente pensato alcuni colossali fondi pensione statunitensi: non a caso dall’industria del risparmio gestito d’oltreoceano solo nell’ultimo trimestre dell’anno scorso si sono registrati deflussi per la bellezza di 167,1 miliardi di dollari (dati eVestment), in parte probabilmente finiti nei più economici Etf.

L’industria degli hedge si ritrova così a riflettere sulla sua strutturadi fee. Il “modello 2-e-20” già nel 2015 è sceso a una media dell’1,5% di commissioni sulle masse gestite e del 17,7% sui profitti, ma c’è anche chi ha calato le fee di gestione all’1 per cento. In generale, negli ultimi dieci anni i nuovi fondi hedge che si sono affacciati sul mercato hanno diminuito le commissioni di gestione del 34% rispetto alla media (fonte Eurekahedge).

Ma c’è chi si è spinto ancora più in là. E' il caso di tre nuovi hedge funds asiatici, tutti con base a Singapore: Noviscient, Kit Trading Fund e Gordian Capital. Il primo ha cancellato del tutto le commissioni di gestione, dichiarandosi addirittura disponibile - per clienti selezionati - ad assorbire il primo 5% di perdite. In cambio chiede una performance fee stellare del 50%, ma solo per l’eventuale fascia di profitti annuali superiori al 10%. Qualcosa sta cambiando in fretta, nell’industria degli hedge funds.

© Riproduzione riservata

Indietro